Elementary School Handbook
The Bemidji Area Schools Elementary Handbook provides information, which all students and parents need to know. This handbook provides information common to all elementary schools in the district.
There are eight elementary schools in the district, which serve students in grades K-5. They include Horace May, Lincoln, Central, J.W. Smith, Northern, Solway, and Gene Dillon.
Requirement for Admission
A child must be five years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year to enter kindergarten. First grade children must be six years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year or have been promoted from an acceptable kindergarten. Birth or baptismal certification must be shown at the time of registration to verify the date of birth as well as immunization records. Registration into Bemidji Area Schools can be done at the District Office at 502 Minnesota Avenue.
Our mission is to empower each learner to succeed in our diverse and changing world.
We believe that:
- Each learner should be challenged to develop to his/her full potential.
- Basic knowledge, skills and attitudes are necessary for success.
- Learning is a lifelong process that enriches our lives.
- Education is a partnership with family and community.
- Each person should show sensitivity and respect for self and others.
- There should be expectations of quality for us and for others.