Protection and Privacy of Student Records
ISD 4107 gives notice to parents of students currently in attendance at VES, of their rights regarding pupil records.
- Parents and eligible students are hereby informed that they have the following rights:
- That parent or eligible student has a right to inspect and review the student’s education records
- That the parent or eligible student has a right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that those records are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights
- That the parent or eligible student has a right to deny consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that federal and state law and the regulations promulgated there under authorize disclosures without consent
- That the parent or eligible student has a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education regarding an alleged failure by the school district to comply with the requirements of 20 U.S.C.1232g, and the rules promulgated there under
- That the parent or eligible student has a right to obtain a copy of the school’s policy regarding the protection and privacy of pupil records
- That copies of the school’s policy regarding the protection and privacy of school records are located at the school.
- ISD 4107 has adopted a school board policy in order to comply with state and federal laws regarding education records. The policy does the following:
- It classifies records as public, private or confidential
- It establishes procedures and regulations to permit parents or students to inspect and review a student’s education records. These procedures include the method of determining fees for copies, a listing of the locations of these education records, and the identity of the individuals in charge of the records
- It establishes procedures and regulations to allow parents or students to request the amendment of a student’s education records to ensure that the records are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights
- It establishes procedures and regulations for access to and disclosure of education records
- It establishes procedures and regulations for safeguarding the privacy of education records and for obtaining prior written consent of the parent or student when required prior to disclosure
“Directory information” will be included in a student directory and will include the following information relating to a student: the student’s name; address; telephone number; date and place of birth; major field of study; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; dates of attendance; degrees and awards received; the most recent educational agency or institution attended by the student; and other similar information. “Directory information” does not include identifying information on a student’s religion, race, color, social position or nationality.
The information listed above shall be public information that the school may disclose from the education records of a student. Should the parent of a student or the student so desire, any or all of the listed information will not be disclosed without the parent’s or eligible student’s prior written consent, except to school officials as provided under federal law. In order to make any or all of the directory information listed above “private,” the parent or eligible student must make a written request to the student’s advisor within thirty (30) days of receiving this information.